War Plan of the GLOBAL ANTI-HUNTING COALITION (GAHC) 2011/2012 – Part 1 of 3
Part 1: The State of The Union
Ask who the most powerful person in the world is, and most Americans would say “the president of the United States”. But from my humble Canadian’s point of view, he is not even the most powerful person in the United States. If a superlative has to be used, I’d say that he is the Biggest Puppet in America,
which of course implies the presence of one or more puppet masters above him, pulling his strings. I can easily name you the BIG FIVE: Oil, Meat, Pharmaceutical, Insurance, and Hunting.
BIG OIL, for example, has such power in American politics that in spite of EXXON being the #1 profiting corporation in Fortune 500’s book, the U.S. government still has to pump multi-billion tax dollars into subsidizing the oil companies, sparing but a pittance to the green-tech industry which is the one that needs the subsidy to get off the ground.
BIG MEAT, for another example, has forced out the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA) which makes it a criminal offense to cause financial loss to any animal enterprise, even by peaceful and non-violent means.
Of course BIG DRUGS and BIG BUCKS both have their ways with the government to extract major tax dollars for bailing out their sagging economies and bolster their diminishing moralities.
And BIG GUN, case in point, has forced the current American president, himself not a hunter, who has unofficially expressed his disdain for hunters and hunting, to glowingly proclaim September 25 as the “National Hunting and Fishing Day”, and to recently issued an open chiding of the American public for not hunting and fishing enough.
It is crystal clear to anyone who looks that this BIG FIVE, and the sixths and sevenths, run the country, from the Presidency, the Legislature and the Judiciary on down, to the state, county and municipal governments, almost all of which, where the recreational killing of wild animals is concerned, are pro-hunting if not downright controlled and run by hunters.
Here are a few largely hidden but hugely damning facts about the dark side of the force in America:
1. Only about 5% of Americans are Recreational Hunters or “Sport” Hunters, and even less in a heavily urbanized state like New Jersey, where only 0.8% of the population hunt – i.e. 99.2% of New Jerseyans do not hunt. And yet, even in New jersey, wildlife management policies are determined by hunters, for hunters, while hikers, campers, wildlife photographers, bird watchers, independent biologists, ecologists, environmentalists, much less animal advocates, have no say in the matter whatsoever. Specifically, Article 2 of Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the New Jersey Statute states: “Six members (*out of the 11) of the Fish and Game Council must be sportsmen (“sportsmen” = hunters) recommended to the Governor for appointment to the council by the New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs; one of such members shall be the Chairman of the committee”.
2. The Trexler Nature Preserve (TNP) near Allentown, Pennsylvania, illustrates another point, that hunters and prohunting governments collude to fool the public into supporting previously unsupported and/or unsupportable hunting activities. TNP was established by General Harry Trexler in 1906, who stipulated that the 2 sq.mi. urban park was out of bounds to hunting, and this was honored for exactly 100 years. In 2007, however, when I was conducting my 36-states-in-6-months Compassion for Animals Road Expedition #5 (CARE-5 – I’m currently on CARE-7), local activists informed me that the municipal government declared that the ecology of the preserve was being severely damaged by an overabundance of Whitetailed deer and that a massive cull was planned to cut the deer population back down to size. Since it was an urban preserve, the discharge of firearms was prohibited, and who but the bow-hunters volunteered themselves to perform the cull as a service to the community, free of charge.
Since the “cull” was already set in stone, all we could do was to go into the park on opening day to protest, observe, record and report. Were I blindfolded and carried into the preserve and had my blindfold then removed, I would have sworn that, instead of a wooded park, I was looking at a plantation or farm. What I saw, other than the heavily armed and camo-clad hunters,
was that acres upon acres of forest had been plowed down, with rows upon rows of rape and deer clover planted in its place.
And there were vast patches of bare earth where the natural vegetation had been freshly removed.
To my practiced eye, the perfidy of the plan became at once all too clear. Deer biology has it that after the rut, most does would carry about 3 fetuses. In food shortage situations, two or all three of the fetuses would be spontaneously aborted, whereas given rich food like rape or deer clover, all three fetuses would come to term and be born as fawns. The purpose of the plantation, called a “food plot” even in the hunters’ lingo, was to maximize the deer’s reproductive rate within the preserve – for hunting purposes. It was none other than the bow hunters themselves who perpetrated this nefarious scheme, and the local government was there to do their bidding. The bow-hunters are a highly aggressive lot, whose plan, and action, are to push their way into places where deer are present and the discharge of firearms is prohibited. I called the local newspaper and a reporter came for an interview. Meanwhile, I took photos of the food plot, and the hunters, and the dead deer that got pulled out of the distant woods.
Came the next morning, the resulting article contained not a single word about the food plot, nor a single photo I had provided. Instead, it glowingly praised the woman who shot the first 8-point buck, with a picture of her crouching proudly behind him.
And of course he forgot to mention that while hunting itself is despicable enough, bow-hunting, with a non-lethal wounding rate of 50% or more, meaning that with every 100 deer shot with an arrow, 50 of them would stagger around with hideous wounds for days, weeks and even months before succumbing to a lingering death, is the worst of it all.
Thus, by hook and by crook, and by arrow and by bolt, the bow-hunters own the government, and media, the public, the preserve and the deer. And once they get their feet in the door, they will never leave. And General Trexler’s dying wish has been utterly disrespected, violated, trampled and betrayed.
3. The Trexler preserve is but a microcosm of the entire country. Of the 300 million Americans, 15-18 million are hunters, most being deer hunter, and most wanting more than one deer per season. In fact, the laws of some states often require a hunter to first kill a doe before being allowed to kill a buck. Thus, some 15-20 million extra deer are needed annually to satisfy the hunters’ blood lust than the natural environment could support, and thus, hunters and pro-hunting governments plant food-plots all over the country, on private and public land, to boost the deer population by that amount and for that purpose. This precipitates a statistically consistent 1 million or so deer and some 250 humans fatalities on the highways and roadways across the land per year due to deer-vehicle accidents (DVAs).
The governments and hunters then blame the human deaths and property damage on the deer, and the public would then support them in their drive to hunt deer in forests and backyards alike.
The hunters are not unaware of the human deaths due to their deer-population-boosting activities, but they push their “program” on nonetheless. This makes them more than just serial-killers (of animals, mostly), but also premeditated mass-murderers, and even terrorists, since, by definition, the victims of terrorism never know who they would be, and where and when they would be killed.
4. There is such a thing as “public consultation”. When, for example, a municipal government intends to institute an urban deer hunt by bow-hunters, it would open the subject for public discussion at city hall. Over the years, in my various long tours, I have participated in dozens of such sessions, and spoken out in many. My conclusion is that by the time the public consultation occurs, the decision has already been made behind closed doors, and no amount of protest and opposition will bring about one iota of difference. It is just for show. It is just another category of pseudo-democracy.
5. Last but not least are the state-level Hunter Harassment Statutes (laws protecting hunters from being “harassed”), which by their very nature often violate the U.S. Constitution with impunity, and the ACLU is hard pressed to do anything about it. A woman who owned a 20 acre piece of property near Pittsburgh, with NO TRESPASSING and NO HUNTING signs all over its periphery, had her First Amendment free speech rights and property rights violated by being convicted on 9 counts of “hunter harassment” for asking a group of hunters hunting on her property to leave.
And there are cases where people with video evidence proving that it was hunters who harassed them instead of the other way around who were also convicted of hunter harassment, and in some instances imprisoned.
6… Other than the above, there are numerous cases where innocent people are hurt or killed by hunters, sometimes maliciously, with the law siding with the hunters.
All in all, at least where hunting is concerned, America has lost its democracy, and the new warlords are none other than the hunters themselves.
To be continued…
Anthony Marr, Founder and President
Heal Our Planet Earth (HOPE)
Global Anti-Hunting Coalition (GAHC)
http://www.facebook.com (search for “Anthony Marr Heal Our Planet Earth”)