Announcing: the RUTTING-SEASON BUCK/DOE SEPARATOR – the most potent anti-culling device
Sometimes, when a certain new idea occurs to you, it would come like a bolt of lightning, and you’d slap your forehead and say to yourself, “It is so simple and obvious why haven’t I thought of it before?” I had one of these Eureka moments this morning, and so much more so, since the idea can save deer by the thousands.
Yesterday, I saw on TV news that the BC town of Princeton, population less than 5000, is having a deer population problem, and that the city was considering culling (killing) as a solution.
It is to be understood that, due to the Compensatory Rebound Effect (meaning that a culled population will have more food per deer, leading the does to each have 2-3 fawns than in the preculled population where it would be 0-1), culling DOES NOT WORK, and if put to use, will be necessitated year after year (which in those towns where the culling is administered by hunters, especially bow-hunters, it is what they WANT.
I called the Princeton city hall this morning and spoke with Deputy Mayor Jason Earle, outlining to him my alternative method in NON-LETHAL deer population management employing a previous invention of mine called the Deer Auto-Assembler (DAA).
Mr. Earle was very receptive, assured me that there was no plan to cull at present, but that, if culling is called for, he would welcome my input in forming a solution. After the phone call, I sent Mr. Earle an email, upon his request, as follows:
Dear Mr. Earle,
Thank you for your time on the phone with me this morning. Here is an article on my deer Immuno-Contraception (IC) vaccine delivery technique by means of a device of my invention called the Deer Auto-Assembler (DAA).
An even simpler method is to make the one-way gates so narrow as to admit only does and juveniles, but not bucks with large antlers, thus separating the breeding males and females during the rutting period. By this method, much less bullets and arrows and bolts, not even immuno-contraception is required.
My phone number (206-259-9679) is a Washington state magicjack number, but I am a Candian living in Vancouver. I look forward to hearing from you.
The “simpler method” mentioned above is what I’m talking about regarding that lightning bolt.
The whole idea is simply to keep the breeding bucks and does apart for the duration of the rutting season, so much the better if we could set up a structure where they could do it themselves, by the following simple means:
1. Set up a DAA: an enclosure of a predetermined size with 10′ deer-fence in a semi-wooded area at or near the center of mass of an urban deer population. The size can range from a tennis court to larger than a football field, depending on the number does to be kept fawnless for the season. Install inward-going one-way gates along the fence, ones wide enough only to admit does and juveniles, but not large breeding bucks with wide antlers.
2. Place corn piles inside the DAA at the one-way gates as attractant.
3. Shortly before the rut begins, after the bucks have grown large antlers, activate the one-way gates. Does will enter the enclosure to feed at the corn piles, but the bucks cannot.
4. After the desired number of does have entered the DAA, close the one-way gates.
5. Supplement-feed the enclosed does during the rutting period to prevent over-browsing and environmental damage within the DAA.
6. When the rutting season is over, disassemble the DAA and let the deer roam. In doing so, the exact number of deer in any given year can be precisely controlled, with practically no work needing to be done.
And how expensive/inexpensive is this method? The cost of building the DAA + zero operational cost (using the occasional volunteer labour). Deer fences usually last 30 years if exposed to the elements year round. When disassembled and dry-stored in the off-season (9-10 months), it can last half a century. Amortize the cost over 30 years and it will cost next to nothing.
What can the hunters and cullers say against non-lethal deer management now?
Anthony Marr, Founder and President
Heal Our Planet Earth (HOPE)
Global Anti-Hunting Coalition (GAHC)